RE: PROPOSED DEMOLITION OF THE BEVATRON ACCELERATOR AT LBNL
1. What exactly is the starting date of the proposed Bevatron demolition?
2. What is the funding status for the Bevatron demolition?
a) How much funding was appropriated for fy 2008?
b) How much funding is currently available for the remaining } months of FY 2008?
c) How much funding is available for FY 2009, i.e. work starting October 1, 2008?
d) How much funding has been requested for FY 2009?
3. Provide a copy of the Bevatron demolition WORKPLAN and SCHEDULE
4. Provide a copy of the WORKPLAN and SCHEDULE of the "alternative-sequence project variant".
5. Explain which one of the two workplans has been adopted for the demolition work scheduled to start in June of 2008?
6. What demolition work is specifically planned for the JuneSeptember 3, 2008 time period?
7. Have all "sampling and surveys for hazardous and radioactive building construction and Bevatron apparatus materials and debris" been conducted and finalized?
Please provide RESULTS of ALL sampling and surveys, as well as copies of the sampling plans.
8. Provide a PLAN and STATUS of implementing the plan for the "set up of additional stormwater drainage and collection systems" to be in place prior to the demolition.
9. Provide the WORKPLAN for the "clean-out" phase of the Bevatron demolition as well as the status of the "clean-out" phase of the project.
10. Provide the PLAN and SCHEDULE for the demolition work which includes:
a) Identification and isolation of building elements to be demolished
Abatement of all hazardous materials
Demolition of the building structure
Segregation and disposal of the debris
11. Specifically, when will the building structure be demolished?
12. The March 2008 Environmental Assessment (EA) states:
"Particular demolition methods, that would be employed, have not been finalized".
Provide a copy of the "finalized demolition methods" and WORKPLAN to be implemented in June of 2008.
13. Provide results and data of LBNL's EHS-programs "characterization of the types, location and degree of the chemical and radiological contamination of the Bevatron and Building 51", as well as the workplan for the sampling protocol that was implemented.
14.. Provide a copy of the monitoring plan and protocol to be implemented DURING the demolition.
15. Is the building structure (which houses the Bevatron apparatus) scheduled to be demolished prior to the finalization of the dismanteling of the Bevatron apparatus and associated structures? If so, how is the environment, i.e. workers, students at the Lab, as well as residential neighborhoods just a few hundred feet away to the north, south and west, being protected?
THE BUILDING MUST STAY INTACT AS A PROTECTIVE SHIELD UNTIL ALL DEMOLITION WORK INSIDE HAS BEEN COMPLETED
16. What are the controls to be employed at the demolition site to protect people and the environment from radioactive and hazardous dust, particles and materials?
17. What are the radioactive and hazardous waste handling protocols?
18. Describe stormwater pollution prevention protocols and measures in detail.
19. Who is the CONTRACTOR selected for the Bevatron Demolition?
20. Provide a copy of the general contract and its terms and conditions for the contractor, especially regarding the CONTROL of off-site & onsite emissions and on-site health and safety risks.
21. Provide copies of all the "reviews performed by LBNL to identify adverse effects and assess and develop environmental control measures", as well as copies of the environmental monitoring and control measures to be implemented during the demolition.
22. List all the specific procedures and performance standards for the Bevatron demolition project, to assure that the proposed project would be in regulatory compliance, that:
a) have been completed
b) have not been completed
c) when will the not completed procedures/standards be completed?
23. What is the specific workplan for the removal of the Bevatron's LEAD ceiling?
24. During the early years of the Bevatron operations there were several explosions of tanks that contained liquid mercury. How is the presence of mercury from these explosions inside the Bevatron building being assessed? What are the testing results? What are the mitigation plans?
25. List all DOE/LBNL personnel, names, titles and responsibilities, who are in charge as lead individuals/project managers on-site of overseeing the Bevatron demolition.